Heavy Rigid - HR

HR Truck

HR - Heavy Rigid

  • Trucks and buses with a GVM of more than 8 tonnes, and three or more axles.
  • Any towed trailer not weighing more than 9 tonnes GVM.
  • Bendy buses. Even though these vehicles are articulated, they’re treated as rigid vehicles.

Tenure Requirements

  • Have held a class C licence, (except a learner licence) for at least two years. Any time you've spent on a P1 licence counts, but you can't practice to drive a HR vehicle, or upgrade to a HR licence until you hold a P2 or full class C licence.

To apply for a HR licence, you must:

  • Pass the Rigid Knowledge Test.
  • Pass an eyesight test.
  • Successfully complete HVCBA.

Gearbox Types

At Central West Driver Training we have Automatic, Synchromesh and Road Ranger gearboxes.

  • If the assessment is completed in an Auto or Synchromesh gearbox a “B” condition will be endorsed on your licence. This will not allow you to drive a non Synchro/Road Ranger gearbox.
  • If the assessment is completed in a non Synchromesh/Road Ranger gearbox a condition will not be endorsed on the licence and therefore you can drive any gearbox configuration.
  • If a person holds an unconditional MR licence and is upgrading to a HR, the assessment can be completed in the Auto/Synchro gearbox vehicle and no “B Condition” will be endorsed on the HR licence.

RMS Costs

  • RMS Road Users Handbook: $13 or PDF online 
  • RMS Heavy Vehicle Handbook: $13 or PDF online
  • Driver Knowledge Test: $49
  • Heavy Vehicle CBA Log Book: $29
  • Licence Upgrade Fee: $28



- MR, HR Class Licence


Back to Top